Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Rename Virtual PC

I have some virtual machines used for testing. I am writing down what I do when we make a copy of the Virtual PC. Sometimes I make a copy of a virtual machine or give a copy to someone else to use. Then I have to rename the virtual PC, so there are not conflicts; rename the machine in Windows, assign a new MAC address to both network adapters, rename the SQL Server, and change the database connection strings in used by services and applications.

1) login to the Virtual PC; select Control Panel> System> Computer Name> Change... and enter a new name

2) restart Windows when it prompts you to reboot

3) open SQL Query Analyzer and rename the SQL Server instance
sp_dropserver 
GO
sp_addserver , local
GO
 
4) close virtual machine and commit changes to hard disk
 
5) edit the .vmc file to change the MAC address; there is one line for each network adapter, 
so in a laptop I had to change two lines one for the wireless adapter and one for the wired connection
0003FFxxxxxx 
6) reconfigure any applications that use the machine name or IP address

No comments: